This position is full time with a regular or variable work-week schedule. The individual who holds this position is responsible for performing and supervising all food service related activities and personnel at his/her assigned location. The expectation is that an individual in this position will participate in the planning of meals, procurement of supplies necessary to provide meals, actual preparation of meals, and insuring that kitchen and dining facilities are maintained according to public health standards. This position may also be responsible for a variety of tasks that are nonetheless essential to the smooth functioning of his/her location under the heading of “Miscellaneous”. This position reports administratively as specified in his/her Appointment Letter.
A. Menu Planning
- Constructs monthly menu drafts for approval by specified deadlines.
- Ensures that menus are approved by a registered dietitian.
- Finalizes weekly menus for publication by specified deadlines.
- Ensures that menu portions and total daily menu allowances meet relevant nutritional guidelines and standards.
- Actively solicits input from consumers as to desired (and undesired) menu items.
B. Supply Procurement and Maintenance
- Keeps food and non-food item inventories according to established FRBH procedures and/or regulatory standards.
- Evaluates cost-to-value status of available food service vendors.
- Recommends food service providers for inclusion in the FRBH approved vendor list.
- Completes, based on approved menus, food orders for submission to approved vendors.
- Obtains appropriate purchase orders or other authorizations for purchases prior to submitting orders or incurring expenses.
- Verifies supply deliveries for completeness and appropriateness according to approved procedures.
- Shops for inventory items, when delivery options are not efficacious.
- Ensures that all food and non-food items are labeled, stored, and secured according to health department, FRBH procedures, and/or other relevant regulatory standards.
C. Meal Preparation
- Strives to prepare food in a fashion that will enhance taste and pleasantness for the consumers, while not compromising the nutritional value of same.
- Ensures that all individuals who will be working in the kitchen area are oriented to safety standards, especially in regards to safe-handling of food.
- Ensures that all items needed for meal preparation are in a state (e.g. appropriately defrosted) that will permit safe preparation.
- Ensures that proper step-by-step instructions are provided for individuals who will be preparing meals when s/he (the cook) is not in attendance.
- Ensures that menus are followed in meal preparation and reports unavoidable deviations as instructed.
- Prepares all foods according to established safety standards
D. Kitchen and Dining Facility Oversight and Maintenance
- Supervises and trains all kitchen personnel.
- Ensures that all kitchen personnel are instructed in all job-relevant corporate policies, procedures, protocols and practices.
- Ensures that all kitchen staff member actions or omissions that are questionable are immediately reported and addressed.
- Conducts kitchen staff members’ performance evaluations in compliance with corporate policies and procedures
- Ensures that a copy of the Food Service Permit is posted on site.
- Establishes checklists and schedules for daily, weekly, and periodic kitchen/dining area cleaning activities.
- Ensures kitchen equipment, utensils, and implements are properly used, cleaned, and stored.
- Maintains an up-to-date inventory of kitchen/dining equipment, utensils, and implements; requesting replacements when necessary.
- Ensures that all kitchen/dining surfaces, floors, and storage spaces are maintained in accordance with all regulatory standards.
- Verifies that cleaning activities performed by others were done in adherence to standards and reports deficiencies as instructed.
- Meets productivity standards as assigned.
- Treats consumers with appropriate respect and compassion, regardless of circumstance.
- Processes incoming communications (physical, telephonic and/or electronic) according to FRBH Policy
- Handles cash funds (e.g. petty cash, collection change funds) according to FRBH Policy
- Expedites all assigned periodic reports or other data submissions in an accurate and timely manner
- Works cooperatively with other FRBH staff members to facilitate smooth functioning.
- Attends periodic meetings and/or trainings as assigned.
- Performs other duties or responsibilities as needed or assigned.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and insurable driving record.
- Must have one (1) year of institutional kitchen management/supervision experience.
- Must have references which report excellent skills in exercising good judgment and courtesy.
- Must pass all required background checks.